Americans who live abroad are subject to U.S. income taxation on their worldwide income and are required to file a U.S. federal income tax return. If you paid taxes to the country where you live and are subject to U.S. tax on the same income, you may be able to take a credit for those taxes. If you meet certain requirements, you may qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion, allowing you to exclude from your income an amount of up to $112,000 (for tax year 2022).

Sanders US Tax Services is built to provide smart, flexible, and client-focused U.S. tax services for Americans living abroad. Our tax professionals are very experienced and will guide you through the filing process, making it a worry-free experience.

Our pricing policy is fully transparent. Flat fee pricing with no surprises.

Unexpected bills can be frustrating and cause dissatisfaction. That’s why we believe in fair, flat fee pricing without surprises. There’s no guess work. Before you begin your project, you know exactly how much it will cost. If we end up spending more time than anticipated, you won’t owe anything extra.

Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

As a U.S. citizen, regardless where you live, you’re required to file Form 1040 with the IRS to report your worldwide income. You may be required to file additional forms and schedules as part of your tax return. The filing due date for Form 1040 is April 15 for most taxpayers. If you file after this date, you may have to pay interest and penalties.

Form 1040NR, U.S. Tax Return for Nonresidents

If you’re not a U.S. citizen, but do have U.S.-source income, you may be required to file Form 1040NR to report that income to the U.S. tax authorities (IRS). If you received U.S.-source income and U.S. federal income tax was withheld on that income, you may be able to claim a refund for (part of) the income tax that was withheld by filing a tax return. You would need a U.S. taxpayer identification number before you can file a U.S. tax return.

Dual-Status Tax Return

Special tax return filing requirements apply to individuals who are ‘nonresidents’ for part of the tax year and U.S. citizens or residents for the other part of the tax year – they are required to file a ‘dual-status’ tax return. This situation usually arises when an individual renounces his U.S. citizenship during the year or when a non-U.S. citizen moves to the U.S., for example on a job assignment.


Please complete the form to get started. A tax professional will be in touch with you to answer your questions and explain the process.